Hand these healthy candy alternatives to kids when they come knocking for a trick-or-treat session at your door this Halloween.
1/2 cup butter or margarine — softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups miniature marshmallows
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter or margarine
10 ounces peanut butter chips
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup salted peanuts
1 cup plain M&Ms
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Gradually add to creamed
mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (do not mix too much).
3. Press into a greased 13 x 9″ baking pan. Bake at 350º for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Immediately sprinkle with marshmallows.
5. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed. Cool on wire rack.
6. For topping: Combine corn syrup, butter and peanut butter chips in a
7. Cook and stir over medium heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
8. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, cereal, nuts and M&Ms.
9. Spread over crust. Cool before cutting.
Taste of Home Magazine