Combine bread butter pudding with toffee apples and you get a winning dessert for Halloween!
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 large tart apples — peeled, cored,
and sliced 1/4″ thick
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
9 slices day-old bread — sliced 3/4″ thick
1 cup applesauce
1 10 oz. jar apple jelly
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the butter, sugar, and corn syrup for about 5-7 minutes or until thick.
2. Pour into an un-greased 13″ by 9″ baking dish and top with sliced apples.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
4. Dip the bread in the egg mixture for about a minute and then put it over the apples in the dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking and preheat oven to 350°. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, mix together applesauce, apple jelly, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir together and cook until hot.
7. Serve syrup poured over French toast.