Sew up these easy homemade toys for your baby’s first Halloween or to give as gifts by joining together 4 inch fabric squares. These homemade toys are great for baby’s muscle development.
- Halloween Print Fabric (A visit to a craft or sewing or quilt supplies store will enable you to buy pre-cut 4 or 5 inch squares of printed calico popularly known as ‘charm packs’. You will need 6 squares for each block. You can use the other squares for more easy Halloween fabric projects. Alternatively, you can buy yardage and cut your own squares)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread for hand-stitching
- Matching Thread
- Polyester fiber stuffing
- Jingle Bells (4-5 per block)
1. If you are cutting squares out of fabric yardage, cut 6 squares of 4 or 5 inches depending upon how big you want your blocks to be. If using pre-cut charm squares, skip this step.
2. Wash, dry and iron all fabrics. Join the squares by sewing (on machine or hand) the squares as shown.
3. Now join the seams of 1 and 4, 1 and 3, 4 and 5 and 3 and 5. You will have an open block with the top joined at only seam.
4. Join 2 more seams of the top square i.e. the square 6 to one side each of square 3 and 4. You are now left with only one side unstitched.
5. Stuff the square with polyester stuffing like polyfill, fiberfill etc. When halfway through, add jingle bells and then stuff the remaining half taking care to pack tightly and using a pencil to poke in the stuffing to all squares. Even if the squares seem too stuffed, keep in mind that the stuffing compacts with use.
6. When filled, sew the last seam shut using a whip stitch.